Qatar deny corruption claims once more
March 20th, 2015

From Here

3

Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani, Emir of Qatar, has insisted that his country did not bribe Fifa in order to host the 2022 World Cup.

Friday 27th February 2015
Fifa awarded the rich Gulf state nation the honour of hosting the biggest football tournament in the world ahead of Japan, South Korea, Australia and the United States.
Sheikh Al Thani has previously skirted around the topic in the past, and Qatar has continuously denied accusations of corruption in relation to their 2022 World Cup bid, but speaking to students at Georgetown University in Washington he addressed the issue.
“Those allegations, I’d just said, there is a Fifa and they had people investigating and everything they investigated with everybody, all officials in Qatar, and they found out that there is nothing about (that),” he said.
“This World Cup is for all the Arabs and that is why we were successful,” he added.
“I know that you guys here were very upset that Qatar, a small country, can beat this great country but I think you should believe that you know you can lose sometimes.”

However, when asked if the tournament will be moved from June-July to November-December, Sheikh Al Thani refused to comment on the matter.
He also declined to comment on the concerns surrounding the treatment of migrant workers in the country. According to The Guardian, Nepalese migrants who have been working to build the infrastructure for the World Cup died at a rate of one every two days in 2014. If this number were to include the workers from India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, it is has been suggested that the death toll would be at more than one a day.

Categories: bribery, Middle-East,